Systemic balance (homeostasis) is critical to one’s health and wellness, and any imbalance can result in complications such as pain, illness, injury or stress. Acupuncture helps restore one’s nature balance so organ and body systems can work together in harmony. A harmonious system sets the stage for the body to repair itself and maintain its own optimal health.
From a Western medicine perspective, research has shown that acupuncture treatment triggers different physiological responses, such as:
- Stimulating the immune system and increasing white blood cells, which defend the body against infection.
- Regulating blood sugar metabolism, which helps the body use energy more efficiently.
- Increasing blood circulation and producing beneficial changes in blood pressure; Decreasing cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Increasing stomach peristaltic activity and regulating digestive fluids, thereby improving digestion.
- Regulating and stimulating serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is directly related to sleep, appetite, and moods.
- Increasing the availability of receptors in the brain that process and weaken pain signals.
- Affecting both the brain’s short- and long-term ability to reduce pain sensation.